Saturday, September 7, 2013

I recently began the process of becoming a Certified Birth Doula. The word "doula" is Greek for "a woman who serves." A birth doula is essentially a birth assistant, someone who supports a mother and her partner as they prepare for, experience, and remember the birth of their child.

I owe this latest career path change to one of my best friends, Blair Hicks, who recently completed her training as a Certified Nurse Midwife and Family Nurse Practitioner at Vanderbilt. Blair's midwifery training included a year of shadowing other midwives all over the country. She spent some time in the backwoods of northern Georgia and a few more months just outside of Houston, Texas. Every few weeks during her training, Blair would send out an email to all of her friends letting us know how she was doing and what she was learning. She would always include a birth story or two. Every time I read one of Blair's stories about her role in bringing a new little person into the world, I would tear up and complain to my husband about how meaningless my life felt. Blair has known since she was a little girl that she wanted to be a nurse. I've always known I wanted to do something in the theatre. But at this point in my career, it seems like almost all of my energy is spent trying to survive Manhattan and eeking out just enough time to create a piece of theatre here and there. The idea of having a tangible physical and emotional impact on the birth of a person and a mother's experience of bringing new life into the world sounded like a hellova career path and calling. In the middle of my "grass is greener" pity party, I felt God nudging me and saying "Hey, maybe this is me calling you into something new. Listen to that hunger." And so I began...life as a doula. I won't leave theatre entirely. It will always be a part of my life. I am just ready to hold it a little more loosely and begin a new chapter. A birthing chapter.


This is Blair in the midst of her midwifery training. How can you not be inspired by such a glowing, lovely woman!


This is me at my first birth this June. 

2 comments:

  1. Amelia--- I can totally see you doing this!! Your servant spirit and nurturing ways go hand -in- hand with this career... I am very excited for you... I would LOVE to join you doing this... What an amazing thing to witness day in and day out!!! God Bless you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now seeing this blog post. Not sure how I can make sure to see your new posts. Yes, Blair is such an inspiring young woman, isn't she! And you are, too! Congratulations on your new adventure in helping to bring life into the world!

    ReplyDelete